Friday, February 10, 2012

Turning the Pages.

It would appear that I'm a tad busy at the moment, which is why I'm hurrying to fire off a quick blog post at 10.51 on a Friday night, prior to sinking happily into bed. Today I received the "pages" for the Mapmaker's Apprentice. In case you don't know what that is, it's basically the typeset version of the book, intended to look pretty well like the final thing minus the cover. The problem is, inevitably when the book transitions from a Word document to a typeset document I find all sorts of problems that were previously invisible to me. I think having that radical change of format is the closest thing possible to looking at the book with fresh eyes, and fresh eyes tend to find all sorts of new problems.

But "pages" are supposed to be a nearly final stage of the process. It's difficult (and, I gather, expensive) to make substantial changes once the book is in this form. So I need to mark every change and think long and hard about it. Is this really a serious problem? If so, why wasn't it a serious problem before? Would anyone else notice this other than me? At the same time, I need to keep in mind that once the book is out there, it's out there. This is the very last opportunity to make changes, so I need to zero in on anything important and fight for it while I still can.

So that's the process I started this evening, as well as continuing my slow and steady way through the creation of the map for book 2. All of this needs to be finished by the end of next week, so I probably won't be surfacing to the blogosphere any time before then.

Busy? Absolutely. But this is the kind of busyness I adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment