Monday, February 20, 2012

The Complete Ghost of Ping-Ling Pronunciation Guide

Someone at the signing (who had read the book) asked me how the names are pronounced. I must have looked quite a sight mouthing them out slowly and carefully, so to avoid putting anyone else through such a disturbing experience I have written a pronunciation guide for your reading pleasure.

Dillen - too easy. Just say it like it sounds.
Koto - the o's are long (as in "hose", not "otter", where it is short).
Tajni - a long "a" (like "pasta") and the 'j' is soft, so it sounds a bit like an "sh" sound. The "ni" on the end sounds like "knee".
Heito - the "Hei" sounds like "tie", not "hay".
Hallegat - Hall-er-gatt.
Magoda - short "a" and long "o" (rhymes with "pagoda").
Qing - if this were a genuine Chinese name I believe it would be pronounced "Ching", but it's not, so it's just pronounced like the word "ring" with a 'q' instead of an 'r'.
Shu - sounds the same as what you put on your foot.
Zhangfu - last bit rhymes with "flu". The "Zh" is pronounced like a "j" sound.
Mazu - short 'a' and long 'u', so the "ma" sounds like it would in "man" and the "zu" sounds like "zoo".
Ghan - the 'h' is silent, rhymes with "ran"

Er ... I'm pretty sure I haven't forgotten anyone. If I have, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment