Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Weight of Souls

Tonight I finished draft 0 of The Weight of Souls (insert joyous music and cheering crowd noises). I have to say, it turned out much better than I had hoped, and I'm now a firm convert to the Driving Without Headlights approach.

So many times, I started with a rough idea of what I wanted to happen, but when I sat down and allowed myself to type as my thoughts came, the story went in directions I would never have thought of in a planning session. Whether this is because of some strange operation of the subconsciousness, or the natural outcome of allowing the characters to be themselves, or some other reason that could well be debated by cardigan-clad academics over a few glasses of red, it worked.

Now I have to print out the draft and get it bound. Then I get to immerse myself in the scintillating delights1 of the editing process.


----

1 There is absolutely no sarcasm here. You will absolutely never find sarcasm on this blog. Absolutely not.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on a completed draft! I find that method quite liberating, while at times I sit for the day, wondering what in the world will come. Thank goodness something always does... :)))

    Enjoy that feeling of accomplishment, then let the editing begin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna!

    There's nothing quite like getting to a point in the action and thinking "oh no, what happens now?" and then finding it all sorts itself out. It doesn't always happen like that, but it's amazing how often it does.

    Hope your own writing is going great guns.

    P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Peter!

    You've made good progresss since you mentioned being stuck. How long did the manuscript end up being? Are you going to start posting chapters to the OWW soon? I need to get my butt in gear and start posting chapters for my GB novel. I have an aspiring-to-be-rough draft, but I haven't looked at it in a few months. It must be time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindsay!

    In the end, it came in at around 54,000 words. I'd like it to be 80,000, but I think when I add more description, flesh out the characters, and add more dialogue, I may be struggling to keep it under that.

    I would dearly love to edit it and start posting it on OWW, but I need to get back into Ghost of Ping-Ling. I'm hoping at some stage this year I'll do some more on it - I really like how it's turned out :-)

    You must keep at that Goblin Brother's book. And I'm really keen to read Emperor's Edge in its entirety when you're ready, too.

    ReplyDelete