Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Plodding

I'm having a serious case of secondbookitis at the moment. 41,000 words in, and I can't help thinking this first draft has descended into a quagmire of ideas that sounded so great until I wrote them down. Situations that I was certain would be filled with tension, characters that would definitely leap from the page, backstory and worldbuilding that would grab and entice and inform. All of it has pfffft away like a half inflated balloon.

I'm thankful this experience is, apparently, perfectly normal, even expected. That knowledge has saved my desk from having a large imprint of my head permanently embedded in it, as a monument to my efforts.

On the bright side, I get to meet Garth Nix at a signing on Friday, and have him sign my copy of Abhorsen.

Come to think of it, perhaps I should take along Lirael instead, and ask if he was ever attacked by the curse of the second book. If he shares any gems, I'll be certain to pass them on.

No comments:

Post a Comment