Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Busy Little Bee

It looks like I've caught the short-story bug. I have no idea how, seeing as I haven't associated with any short-story writers in the last little while, not unless they were short-story writers and they didn't tell me (the rats!). Anyway, I've managed to hammer out two 2,500 word pieces, both of which have made it to the shortlist for ASIM (not that I'm all that hopeful, seeing as only 1 in 20 get from there into print), and I'm also writing something for a Fablecroft anthology on the theme "After the Rain".

Yes, I probably should be working on the contracted book 2 of GPL, but I am getting to do bits and pieces of that through the week (currently sitting at 38,000 words). If I could get one or two of these stories into print some time next year, it would be a good way of getting my name out there in prep for GPL coming out. That's my excuse, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

I'd cross my fingers, but they're too busy typing...

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the short stories, Peter!

    I've always struggled to get into short stories, especially the stuff that the magazines actually buy (I much prefer reading about characters from a series I already know and love), but I always thought ASIM to be a lot of fun with their humor angle. I loves me some laughs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay, and thanks!

    Yes, I find the short story bug gets me really fiercely for a while, then it goes away just as suddenly and I get back into novel writing. The big inspiration for me is reading other short stories - I've subscribed to ASIM for the last 3 issues. The moment I pick it up I end up wanting to write something to submit.

    I think ASIM's humour is very close to my own, which is why it appeals to me so much, both as a reader and a writer. I've been meaning to check out some of the other mags around, in all my huge amounts of spare time (not).

    ReplyDelete