Tuesday, May 12, 2009

OWW

I've now been using Online Writer's Workshop for a week, and I have to report - I love it. This is exactly what I've needed, and the benefits are flowing thick and fast.

So far I've only posted the first chapter of Ghost, and I've had five reviews - all very positive and all extremely helpful. All five readers "get" what I'm trying to do with the story and the world, which was one of my main concerns. They've also commented favourably on the plot, so I'm feeling a lot more confident about the direction this latest draft is taking.

Hopefully by the end of the week I can have chapter 2 and 3 posted too - but I'm giving them both substantial rewrites, not only to fit in with the new direction of the first chapter, but also to sharpen up the style a little, and make the story a bit more focused.

I've also enjoyed reading other people's submissions and writing a few reviews. Generally the quality is really good, and now and again I've struck an absolute gold nugget - chapters of books that will almost certainly end up in print. To have people of that calibre read my own stuff and make comments is very valuable.

I'd really like to start posting chapters of Weight of Souls too, but it's far from ready. I haven't done much on it in the last week, but I think it's at the 5000 word mark. On the bus last week I read over it (on my spanking new laptop) and I absolutely loved it - the relationship between the two main characters has gelled in a way I didn't expect, and I'm starting to feel like it may go somewhere. I still only have a vague notion of the overall plot, and it feels strange to be writing without a clear outline, but it never hurts to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment