Monday, May 4, 2009

Happy Happy Joy

Today I discovered the Online Writer's Workshop. I think Deborah Kalin mentioned it in her blog at some point in the distant past, but I'd filed it away in some obscure draw in my brain, and only decided this afternoon to google it and see what it had to offer.

Really glad I did. People post manuscript excerpts to the site and critique each other, you can't post your own work until you critique four others (unless you're a brand new member, then you get a freebee) so people are fairly keen to write reviews. If the submissions I looked at are any indication the standards are very high - it's not a fan-fiction type thing.

So, this evening I posted chapter 1 of Ghost, with one of the ideas for a plot change I'd been chewing over. It's great if I can add this kind of review alongside the valuable feedback I've had from friends - every comment helps. I guess it's also a good thing that the reviewers don't know you from Adam's left foot - they can say whatever they like (and probably will).

I just need to make sure I don't spend half my workday logged on, something I could easily have done today.

No comments:

Post a Comment