Friday, June 29, 2012

Nose Off the Grindstone

My wife and children come back tomorrow from a week's holiday interstate (thank goodness, I've missed them horribly). While they've been gone, as per my previous post, I've been beavering away trying to get 20,000 words written of the latest draft of Book 3. I'm happy to report that I ended up writing 19236 words, just over 4200 of which I did today which brought me to the end of the draft with a day to spare. Loud cries of 'woot' all around, I say! And this afternoon I went to the local copy store and got them to print it out and put a nice little comb bounder around it, so it almost looks like a real book. It's very satisfying to hold it in my hand and feel like I have something tangible after so much hard graft.

Next I get to read through it and make lots of lines in green, and that's when I get some sort of idea of the quality of the many words I wrote. It's something that's hard to guess at the time. Sometimes I can write a thousand or so words and think it's flowing really well, only to look at it later and realise I'll have to completely bin the lot. Other times it's the other way around. Hopefully things will balance themselves out enough that I won't have to completely rewrite too much, because that November deadline is starting to look awfully close.

And now, let the editing begin, although tonight I'm taking time off to just chill, though I'm sure I won't be able to resist thumbing through the shiny new manuscript at some points in the evening. 


1 comment:

  1. Well done, mate, that's a huge milestone and huger effort.

    Woot!

    ReplyDelete