Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rolling with the Punches

I read a review of Ghost of Ping-Ling yesterday in a magazine called "Magpies", which is a kind of round-up of children's books and writing for children in general.

All I can say is I'm glad the magazine doesn't use a star rating system, because judging by the reviewer's comments I wouldn't have scored any. Sufficient to say Ghost of Ping-Ling was not one of his favourite books.

Ah well, that's the way it goes, though I have to confess I was a little bummed at getting such a thoroughly negative review, particularly in a magazine of that quality. Here's hoping the next reviewer will find at least a few positive things to say.

Speaking of positive, and on a completely different note, next week is the Bologna Children's Book Fair, and even as we speak (well, perhaps not "as we speak" seeing as it's the early hours in Europe and they're probably asleep) the rights people from Scholastic are overseas presenting the rights catalogue (including Ghost of Ping-Ling) to potential buyers. I don't really know how long it will take before I find out anything, but should any overseas sales eventuate I'll be shouting it from the rooftops, and probably writing it here in the blog too.

Here's hoping for good news (and good reviews!).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Peter. Reviews or not, I am a school librarian and I loved it....in fact cannot wait until book 2 is released. I wanted to keep reading because it was suspenseful all the way through. Keep up the good work. I will be recommeding this to students.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicki. I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed the book! Thank you for stopping by and letting me know, it's always a huge encouragement and much appreciated. P.

    ReplyDelete