Friday, December 30, 2011

Another One Goes By...

Wow, hard to believe 2012 is nearly upon us, and what a huge year it will be for me. Ghost of Ping-Ling comes out in Feb, then in March the book gets taken to Bologna Children's Book Fair in Italy, in the hope that agents and publishers from around the world will decide to buy the rights (that will be an extremely nervous few days for me, and I'm not even going to be there). In June Mapmaker's Apprentice comes out, and perhaps even book 3 before the year's end, given the amount of time between 1 and 2. Hard to believe so much will be happening, it promises to be a dizzying ride.

This year, on the other hand, has been mainly hard work and waiting. In January, around the time I lost my job, Feb 2012 seemed an eternity away. That sense of frustration increased as the months ticked by. It's a very strange feeling when you've signed a contract for your first book but it hasn't yet come out. You feel like someone pressing your face against the window of a fancy restaurant, but you're not allowed to go in and eat. At first it's pure excitement and overwhelming joy, then it becomes a grinding wait for the publication date to actually arrive. Thankfully my wait is now measured in weeks (less than 5, to be exact).

And, of course, there's the ever present nervousness about how the book will be received. Some days I feel quite confident about it, a calm sense that the book is quite good (or at least the best I could make it) and should hopefully appeal to at least a few people. Other days I worry it will be shot down in flames, and this post I wrote some time ago will come back to haunt me, as if I unknowingly wrote my own destiny.

But who knows. As the great man said, who of us by worrying can add a single hour to our lives? It sounds like a good piece of advice to me.

I hope everyone has a happy and safe new year, that you take the time to dream, and that at least some of those dreams come wildly true.

See you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment