Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Seven Weeks

That's how long it's been since I posted the Ghost of Ping-Ling. Several authors whose blogs I follow have recommended that the best thing to do in this situation is forget it and get on with life, pretend you never even sent it in the first place. This is very sensible advice. I would go so far as to rank it alongside "eat lots of brussel-sprouts" and "always remember to floss".

I have tried to keep busy. I've written 35,000 words of my next project, edited a short story, drawn about eight sketches, watched ten movies, even managed to read a novel and a half. But I can't help thinking about my manuscript. Has anyone read it? Is it sitting, covered in a layer of dust, on a shelf somewhere? Is it in a brief-case on its way to a meeting? Was there some sort of horrible mail mix up, and it's currently propping up a wonky desk in a government office in Liberia?

Who knows? Wherever it is, the waiting is very tough, and this whole thing about forgetting it and getting on with life is not as easy at it seems.

I will never complain about the query system again. The query system is like having a bandaid ripped off. It's not pleasant, but at least it's fast.

6 comments:

  1. I wish you luck, Peter. I've yet to progress that far, but your post confirms what I've suspected: No matter what you do to fill your time, the submitted manuscript/short story/screenplay always feels like unfinished business until you get word otherwise. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonathan,

    "unfinished business" is a perfect way to describe it. I think that's why I'm finding it hard to totally immerse myself in my new project. I'm writing, but the distraction is certainly there, and will be until I hear something.

    And still 9 weeks to go, if the publisher's 16 week turnaround is true :-(

    P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter- I have been surprised at how easy it has been to forget that a short story I submitted is still 'out there', but I have this idea that my novel will be a little harder to forget about. Good luck. I feel for you! -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I waited four months to hear no thanks. Yeah, it's an extracted process, but hang in there! You never know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anna,

    I remember you mentioning that earlier. Your experience has well and truly helped me keep my feet on the ground - thanks for sharing it!

    Sorry to hear you were rejected. Did you sub somewhere else?

    P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with Ping Ling! I'm still waiting until I can buy it to read the ending, hehe.

    I've found a German agent who will try to sell my manuscript to a German publisher... for translation and possible eventual sale to an English publisher. Until then, it's POD for me :)

    ReplyDelete