Thursday, June 16, 2016

A While Between Drinks

... yes indeed it is, but I'm happy to report that the story I mentioned in the last post has been accepted by Aurealis. I've been trying on-and-off for a few years to get into that mag so it's nice to finally succeed. When I find out which issue and when it's coming out I'll be sure to post it here for your perusing pleasure.

I'm also reading Stephen King's On Writing at the moment. It's been on my hit-list for several years. Lots of really good advice, some of which I've heard before and some of which is totally new. I should add that I don't agree with everything he says. The more I go on in this writing game the more I realize how important it is to distinguish between good writing advice and an individual author's personal taste. Often the two things get intertwined to the point you can't tell them apart.

That said, it's an excellent book and I would happily recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Peter - just wanted to say congratulations on breaking out onto the pages of 'Aurealis'! I'm a near-fetal newbie and hope to tread a road similar to the one you have taken and one day graduate from writer to author.
    Regarding Stephen King's 'On Writing', I agree 100%. The book is a fantastic insight into the mind of one of the world's most successful writers, and written in a way that is starkly different from other 'How To' type books on writing. But you are right about sorting the differences between advice based on decades of experience and an author's personal tastes and style. My own copy of 'On Writing', bought several years ago now and read a dozen times, is littered with highlighted sections, coloured tabs (the meaning of which I have long since forgotten) and hand written notes in margins.
    Again, congratulations on your achievements, not just getting into Aurealis but for all your publication history.
    Brett McKenzie, Canberra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brett,

    Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! It's a tad quiet around here these days so it's very much appreciated. Good luck with your writing too. It's a great big learning curve that never stops. Hard work, but worth every minute.

    ReplyDelete