Sunday, May 19, 2013

Updates....

I'm currently writing two books at once. I'm sure that somewhere in the writing advice annals this is classed as a Bad Idea but I'm doing it anyway. My problem is I have two stories rattling around in my brain and I can't choose between them. So, ever the pragmatist, I'm writing both. In my lunch-breaks I take a notebook and pen, find a nice spot to sit (away from smokers, quite difficult in the Adelaide CBD) and write a thousand words of a science fiction story I've been planning since about 1982. Then in the evening, when the boys have gone to bed, I fire up the laptop and do another thousand words, this time on a kind of paranormal comedy inspired by a short story I had published a few years back.

And they're both working out quite well, if I say so myself.

My aim, as I think I've repeatedly said on this blog, is to have something ready to deliver to my long suffering publisher no later than the end of this year. Seeing as it's impossible to both write and edit two 80,000 word manuscripts in that time, my plan is to finish both rough drafts then decide which one I'll invest the editing time in for the remainder of the year. I think it might be tough decision, and I can see it coming down to a coin toss, or maybe something a little more scientific like the examination of a few tea leaves or the pattern made by pigeon dropping on the pavement. Whatever happens, and whichever of the two I choose, I'll still have the other manuscript tucked away to work on at a later date.

And did I mention short stories? I'm writing a few of those too. In all my spare time.
 

3 comments:

  1. Man, you've a lot on your plate!

    I'm curious: how much input/guidance/feedback does your publisher give in choosing which project to persist with? Or is it all up to thee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete,

    I haven't asked my publisher for any feedback or guidance at this stage. My gut feel is she'd saying something along the lines of "I can't tell you until I have a complete manuscript in my hand". So at the moment it's all up to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers. Interesting to hear these tidbits from behind the scenes.

    Godspeed!!

    ReplyDelete