Monday, March 21, 2011

Rejections...

At the moment I'm going through a bit of a spell of rejection letters. I've had one from ASIM, one from Strange Horizons, and yet another "your story did not win" from Writers of the Future to add to my collection. At the same time, I've been reading a brilliant collection of short-stories (a collection of brilliant short-stories?) called Australis Imaginarium. If you haven't taken a look at it, I strongly recommend grabbing a copy from here.

Reading the anthology has helped me keep the rejection emails in perspective, because the more of those stories I read, the more I understand why my own efforts didn't make it. That's not to say my stories were bad, because I don't think they were. They just weren't anywhere near the standard of the ones I'm reading. Far from being discouraged by that, it's encouraged me to keep writing and to keep striving for improvement.

One thing I do need to work on is endings. I find it much easier starting a short-story and getting the whole thing rolling than I do coming up with a satisfying conclusion that wraps everything up nicely. My endings tend to be abrupt, or in some other way fail to complete the journey I've embarked on. I think I'm getting better, but still a long way to go1.


1I hope that wasn't too abrupt an ending for this post.

2 comments:

  1. I love a short story that ends in a satisfying way, but have a helluva time writing them. Sometimes the number of great shorts out there (stories, not pants) can be daunting, but, as you say, there's so much to take away from reading them.

    Good luck with future submissions. I'm sure with your wit and writing ability, more will land in the near future.

    Oh yeah, when are you getting on Twitter? (Teresa told me to ask you that :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonathan, good to see you again :-)

    Yep, I think if my confidence has taken a dent it's probably a good thing, something to spur me on to try and keep improving. I have quite a few more stories in the pipeline so we'll see how we go. Good luck with yours too, I have to look in and see what's been happening.

    I looked at twitter but I couldn't understand how it was supposed to work, and I didn't have the motivation to find out. I will go back at some time. Then I might understand what Teresa means by some of these strange words she uses ;-)

    ReplyDelete