Monday, April 19, 2010

Recent Reads

Wow, I've managed to squeeze some time into blogging!

I've been wanting to post about some of the books I've been reading recently. Here's the good oil...

Wounded Guardian - Duncan Lay. I'm not really a fan of "heroic" fantasy, but this was certainly a good read. Most of all I loved the battle scenes - they were gritty and realistic, and it was obvious the author had done a lot of research into medieval type weaponry. I'm hoping to read the sequel in the next little while.

Leviathan - Scott Westerfeld. Brilliant! My second foray into steampunk, and I'm liking this genre more and more all the time. This was one of those books that I didn't want to end, but thankfully the next one is coming out this year. I'll be getting it the day it's released.

Two Pearls of Wisdom - Alison Goodman (released in the US as Eon). Another brilliant read. I was really keen to get hold of this one because the author does what I've tried to do in GPL - create a fantasy Asian world based (loosely) upon Ancient China. If I've done it just half as well as she has I'll be happy. This is one of those books that I think I'll read again and again - the world is so intricate and there are so many layers to it, and it hooked me from the first. Again, I'll be waiting for the sequel later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment